Totally Free 1040ez Federal Tax Return Online.

Choose the appropriate Income Tax Form.

If you file online, you do not have to worry about choosing the best tax form to use when filing your tax return, because the program chooses it for you. If you file on paper, be sure to use the best tax form for your needs because it will save you from corrections and delays.

You may want to use IRS Income Tax Return 1040EZ if your taxable income is below $100,000, and your filing status is Married Filing jointly or Single, and you and your partner are under age 65 and are not blind, and you are not claiming any dependents on your tax return, and your interest income is $1500 or less, and you are not claiming the extra typical deduction for real estate taxes, disaster losses, or taxes on a new motor vehicle.

You may want to use 1040A if your income is under $100,000, and you have capital gains distributions, and you claim deductions for Individual Retirement Account contributions, student loan interest, educator expenses or higher education tuition and fees, and certain other tax credits.

If you can't use the 1040EZ or the 1040A, you will probably need to use Form 1040, particularly if your taxable income is $100,000 or more, and you itemize tax deductions, and you are reporting income from self-employment, and you are claiming income from the sale of property.

Remember that if you choose to use desk top or online tax software to file your income tax return online, you will not have to build any of this out on your own and your income taxes will be trouble-free to do and cost a lot less than using a professional to prepare your tax return.